GPL version?

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Hi,

I'm currently working on an open-source project based on ffmpeg, and I wanted to have a web player (preferably Silverlight) in there. This seems to be the the de facto standard one, is pretty easy to use, and looks awesome. Unfortunately, the MS-PL isn't GPL-compatible, and I'm using a GPL build of ffmpeg plus vsfilter which is GPL. I'm wondering if there was a way I could get a GPL-licensed copy from the authors (I think just Tim...?)? I'm sure there's some legal technicality since the player and server will be in completely different processes (and likely on different computers), but just in case...

Thanks.

All the best,

Robert

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:25 PM
In what ways is this not gpl compatible? Ms-pl is extremely permissive.

-th

sent from mobile so please forgive tone and brevity

On Sep 1, 2009, at 12:10 AM, fraserofthenight <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: fraserofthenight

Hi,

I'm currently working on an open-source project based on ffmpeg, and I wanted to have a web player (preferably Silverlight) in there. This seems to be the the de facto standard one, is pretty easy to use, and looks awesome. Unfortunately, the MS-PL isn't GPL-compatible, and I'm using a GPL build of ffmpeg plus vsfilter which is GPL. I'm wondering if there was a way I could get a GPL-licensed copy from the authors (I think just Tim...?)? I'm sure there's some legal technicality since the player and server will be in completely different processes (and likely on different computers), but just in case...

Thanks.

All the best,

Robert

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:26 PM
Hi Tim,

I have no idea; I'm not a lawman... According to the Free Software Foundation, they're not compatible. If you're cool with it being modified & used in a GPLed project (and thus re-released under the GPL), then that's all that matters :-). I'll give credit & link back here of course. Ick, this license stuff is annoying...

Thanks,
Robert

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile


From: timheuer
Date: 1 Sep 2009 07:25:39 -0700
To: <fraserofthenight@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: GPL version? [sl2videoplayer:67545]

From: timheuer

In what ways is this not gpl compatible? Ms-pl is extremely permissive.

-th

sent from mobile so please forgive tone and brevity

On Sep 1, 2009, at 12:10 AM, fraserofthenight <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: fraserofthenight

Hi,

I'm currently working on an open-source project based on ffmpeg, and I wanted to have a web player (preferably Silverlight) in there. This seems to be the the de facto standard one, is pretty easy to use, and looks awesome. Unfortunately, the MS-PL isn't GPL-compatible, and I'm using a GPL build of ffmpeg plus vsfilter which is GPL. I'm wondering if there was a way I could get a GPL-licensed copy from the authors (I think just Tim...?)? I'm sure there's some legal technicality since the player and server will be in completely different processes (and likely on different computers), but just in case...

Thanks.

All the best,

Robert

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2009 at 5:43 PM
You'll definitely want to comply with your GPL license and if it prohibits Ms-PL licensed stuff, that's weird, but I'm not a lawyer as well.

-th

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:26 AM, fraserofthenight <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: fraserofthenight

Hi Tim,

I have no idea; I'm not a lawman... According to the Free Software Foundation, they're not compatible. If you're cool with it being modified & used in a GPLed project (and thus re-released under the GPL), then that's all that matters :-). I'll give credit & link back here of course. Ick, this license stuff is annoying...

Thanks,
Robert

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile


From: timheuer
Date: 1 Sep 2009 07:25:39 -0700
To: <fraserofthenight@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: GPL version? [sl2videoplayer:67545]

From: timheuer

In what ways is this not gpl compatible? Ms-pl is extremely permissive.

-th

sent from mobile so please forgive tone and brevity

On Sep 1, 2009, at 12:10 AM, fraserofthenight <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

From: fraserofthenight

Hi,

I'm currently working on an open-source project based on ffmpeg, and I wanted to have a web player (preferably Silverlight) in there. This seems to be the the de facto standard one, is pretty easy to use, and looks awesome. Unfortunately, the MS-PL isn't GPL-compatible, and I'm using a GPL build of ffmpeg plus vsfilter which is GPL. I'm wondering if there was a way I could get a GPL-licensed copy from the authors (I think just Tim...?)? I'm sure there's some legal technicality since the player and server will be in completely different processes (and likely on different computers), but just in case...

Thanks.

All the best,

Robert

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sl2videoplayer@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sl2videoplayer@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com