mms: stream not smooth

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I have created a greasemonkey script that replaces an embedded mediaplayer with videplayer.xap on dr.dk (danish television limited to ip addresses in denmark).

The reason is that the original site does not work right on a mac. However I have had problems with the player. It stops every 20 seconds for a while and then continues.

VLC plays the exact same stream flawlessly, so it is not a bandwidth issue, I have a really good internet connection.

Have you had any report of problems that is similar. Is there any buffering configuration option I can use to see if it helps?

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2009 at 8:41 PM
The player uses progressive download and not streaming, so if it is buffering it is because it doesn't have enough data to render or there is some latency.  Can you point me to the script and site and if i have a moment I will take a look?

-th

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM, xylifyx <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I have created a greasemonkey script that replaces an embedded mediaplayer with videplayer.xap on dr.dk (danish television limited to ip addresses in denmark).

The reason is that the original site does not work right on a mac. However I have had problems with the player. It stops every 20 seconds for a while and then continues.

VLC plays the exact same stream flawlessly, so it is not a bandwidth issue, I have a really good internet connection.

Have you had any report of problems that is similar. Is there any buffering configuration option I can use to see if it helps?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (slvideoplayer@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email slvideoplayer@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:21 AM
You need firefox with greasemonkey enabled

and goto

But I've heard you need a danish IP address, so you are probably blocked. If this is the case could you describe the tests so that I can run them.

/erik

On 01/11/2009, at 22.41, timheuer wrote:

The player uses progressive download and not streaming, so if it is buffering it is because it doesn't have enough data to render or there is some latency. Can you point me to the script and site and if i have a moment I will take a look?

-th

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM, xylifyx <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (slvideoplayer@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email slvideoplayer@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:35 AM

The player page itself is

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/16123/Video/video.html?mms://....

and expect the mss url directly after the '?' mark.

Nov 2, 2009 at 9:36 AM

In case this helps, I tried your HTML page and it works perfectly for me, both for direct download and streaming:-

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/16123/Video/video.htm

This is just the standard SL2VideoPlayer embedded in a fairly normal way. I used firebug to alter the MediaSource.

If a video plays at all, then the player is definitely working correctly. If the video sometimes pauses and then resumes, this is because it is buffering. If your connection is fast enough, and the stream or direct download is delivered fast enough, you will not usually have this problem.

Information about how buffering works in SL2VideoPlayer, and how it can be configured, in case this helps:

The MediaElement control in Silverlight is the media player engine at the heart of Sl2VideoPlayer. MediaElement has a default buffering time of 5 seconds. (Windows Media Player is the same.) This means it will buffer 5 seconds of video before playing. Obviously, therefore, if the player has not yet received more than 25 seconds of video after 20 seconds of playing, it will have to wait while the next part of the video is loaded.

If you want to investigate and perhaps even solve your buffering issue this without doing any C# coding, you could change the buffering time using JavaScript:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb979808(VS.95).aspx

I recently wrote this JavaScript file which exposes the MediaElement, so you could easily set the value of BufferingTime in your web page to see how it affects your problem:-

http://slvideoplayer.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=71836

I'd suggest trying a buffering time of 10 seconds to see the effect this has on your problem.