Considering migrating from QT to SLVP

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:22 AM
Edited Nov 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Is there a way to make the slvideoplayer behave like my QT player?  Specifically scrub more smoothly and singlestep (on FF with the arrow keys)  Also when stopped I'd like not to have the play icon.  Eventually I'd like to build a full featured SL app but in the near term thought I'd try at least a SL player.  -thx-

Coordinator
Nov 7, 2009 at 6:24 AM
When you say single-step -- do you mean frame-by-frame?  As to not showing the play icon when stopped -- you'd have to modify the code on that one as I've not exposed that as an optional parameter.  That change would be easy enough though.

-th

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:22 PM, wakewatcher <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Is there a way to make the slvideoplayer behave like my QT player?  Specifically scrub more smoothly and singlestep (on FF with the arrow keys)  Also when stopped I'd like not to have the play icon.  Eventually I'd like to build a full featured SL app but in the near term thought I'd try at least a SL player.  (http://www.bayviewgrand.org/silverlight/silver.html)   -thx-

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (slvideoplayer@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email slvideoplayer@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Thanks for the response Tim.

I'm not sure if its actually frame by frame but in essence yes.  If you click on the QT example it will stop and then with FF/Chrome (haven't figured out how to do it in IE yet) you can use the arrow keys and step "frame by frame" backward and forward.  With IE you can see the effect by pulling the scrubber back and forth and compare it with the same action on the SLVP.)  The reason I want the icon not to reappear is the idea is that one wants to see the detail of the picture when the video is stopped. (Which actually seems like a reasonable behavior for many applications.)

Thanks for your help.

Coordinator
Nov 7, 2009 at 5:27 PM
You can definitely alter it to do what you want, but the compiled code as-is doesn't do that for you out of the box.  You would have to do some modifications.

-th

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 8:42 AM, wakewatcher <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Thanks for the response Tim.

I'm not sure if its actually frame by frame but in essence yes.  If you click on the QT example it will stop and then with FF/Chrome (haven't figured out how to do it in IE yet) you can use the arrow keys and step "frame by frame" backward and forward.  With IE you can see the effect by pulling the scrubber back and forth and compare it with the same action on the SLVP.)  The reason I want the icon not to reappear is the idea is that one wants to see the detail of the picture when the video is stopped. (Which actually seems like a reasonable behavior for many applications.)

Thanks for your help.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (slvideoplayer@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email slvideoplayer@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:43 AM

To echo what Tim says, yes this is definitely possible. You can do this by tweaking the C# code. I think you could even achieve these mods using pure JavaScript, though I do reccomend looking at the project source code in Visual Studio -- it's very clear and simple code.

The scrub bar functionality is already there, provided the video has markers to support seeking. So if your video file or stream contains the right metadata, you could certainly add cursor key events to conrol the scrub bar.

And it's certainly possible to hide the control responsible for the play icon, e.g. on the MediaEnded event of the MediaElement -- either in the C# or just with JavaScript.