Integrating video player in .xaml file

Aug 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM
Hello,

Is there a way to integrate the video player in an already existing page.xaml?

I don't want to have two different .xap files one for the video player and one for the application

Thanks
Oct 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM
I'd like to know this as well. I added the project to my solution and added a reference from my Silverlight app to the video player project, but I can't figure out how to use the control from within my application. It seems like too much of the player is tied to the application - a control version would be very useful.
Oct 10, 2008 at 12:18 AM
Edited Oct 10, 2008 at 12:29 AM
Using the source code I have been able to do this with a few minor changes. Here's the steps I followed:

1. Created a subfolder on my project called "VideoPlayer" and copied all the source code (EXCEPT for the App.xaml.xs) from the VideoPlayer (or VideoProject- min) project here.

2. Copy the Application_Startup "foreach" code block and FormatUri() methods from the player's App.xaml.cs to my App.xaml.cs. I don't think the
HtmlPage.RegisterScriptableObject line is needed since the only scriptable method (Player.SeekPlayback) isn't called from a script that I can see.

3. Copy\set the initParams in my HTMLtag:

4. To avoid confusion with my Page I renamed the VideoPlayer's Page to Player

* Renamed Page.xaml to Player.xaml (renames .xaml.xs as well).
* Changed x:Class="VideoPlayer.Page" to x:Class="VideoPlayer.Player" in Player.xaml
* Changed Page : UserControl to VideoPlayer : UserControl in Player.xaml.cs
* Changed Page() to VideoPlayer() in Player.xaml.cs
* After doing the above and compiling I was able to add a "Player" custom control to my page via Expression Blend, which nicely adds in the xmlns declaration.

5. Changed all references from "App" to "Application" in Player.xaml.cs, otherwise I had compile errors.

6. In order to make this control more usuable for my project, I added a few utility methods, shown below. I think all the media control functionality could\should be exposed, but that's just my opinion.

Play\Stop is so my application can start\stop the video programatically.

Mediacontrol.xaml.cs
public void Play() { btnPlay.IsChecked = true; }
public void Stop() {
btnPlay.IsChecked = false;
_media.Position = new TimeSpan(0);
}

Player.xaml.cs
public void Play() { mediaControls.Play(); }
public void Stop() { mediaControls.Stop(); }

MediaReady event is so to enable\disable an external play button (initially the video player is hidden in my application).

public event EventHandler MediaReady;
private void mediaPlayer_MediaOpened(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e) {
if (this.MediaReady != null)
MediaReady(this, new EventArgs());
}

in Player.Page_Loaded() I added:
mediaPlayer.MediaOpened += new RoutedEventHandler(mediaPlayer_MediaOpened);

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:12 PM
Thanks a bunch for this. It saved me a lot of time.

Helen
Mar 24, 2009 at 11:13 PM
Thanks a bunch for this. It saved me a lot of time.

Helen
Mar 25, 2009 at 6:31 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the code.
But i am getting some errors like

Error 1 The type name 'MediaSlider' does not exist in the type 'VideoPlayer.VideoPlayer' C:\bala\Silverlight\2\PhotoBrowserWebSource\PhotoBrowser\obj\Debug\VideoPlayer\mediaControl.g.cs 85 49 PhotoBrowser
Error 2 The type name 'spinner' does not exist in the type 'VideoPlayer.VideoPlayer' C:\bala\Silverlight\2\PhotoBrowserWebSource\PhotoBrowser\obj\Debug\VideoPlayer\mediaControl.g.cs 87 42 PhotoBrowser
Error 3 The name 'InitializeComponent' does not exist in the current context C:\bala\Silverlight\2\PhotoBrowserWebSource\PhotoBrowser\VideoPlayer\Player.xaml.cs 30 13 PhotoBrowser
Error 4 The name 'LayoutRoot2' does not exist in the current context C:\bala\Silverlight\2\PhotoBrowserWebSource\PhotoBrowser\VideoPlayer\Player.xaml.cs 40 13 PhotoBrowser
Error 5 The name 'LayoutRoot' does not exist in the current context C:\bala\Silverlight\2\PhotoBrowserWebSource\PhotoBrowser\VideoPlayer\Player.xaml.cs 41 13 PhotoBrowser

around 51 errors
do we need to change the namespace also, i have done all the chagnes mentioned in the above post

Regards,
Bala
Aug 20, 2009 at 4:43 AM

Hi, i have succeeded in integrating the project into .XAML , building it with no error. And then what to do? how to set the media source for the video to play? I tried something like this:

<vid:mediaControl Media="http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/21/video/trailer/21_trailer_high.asx" EnableMarkers="True" width="400" height="300"/>

But it won't work. Should i go with <vid:Player /> instead? Or maybe set the source from code-behind?

Thanks a bunch!

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2009 at 9:07 PM
It wasn't designed to work as a control within an existing app.  It can be done, but you'd have to change some things as most params are driven by the InitParams of the <object> tag.

-th

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 8:43 PM, ume <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi, i have succeeded in integrating the project into .XAML , building it with no error. And then what to do? how to set the media source for the video to play? I tried something like this:

<vid:mediaControl Media="http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/21/video/trailer/21_trailer_high.asx" EnableMarkers="True" width="400" height="300"/>

But it won't work. Should i go with <vid:Player /> instead? Or maybe set the source from code-behind?

Thanks a bunch!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sl2videoplayer@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sl2videoplayer@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:30 AM

hi anyone has been able to integrate the dll in your xaml?
I have extracted the XAP in a dll:

-VideoPlayer.dll

How I can use it in a user control?

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM
hzhkx4 wrote:
Using the source code I have been able to do this with a few minor changes. Here's the steps I followed:

1. Created a subfolder on my project called "VideoPlayer" and copied all the source code (EXCEPT for the App.xaml.xs) from the VideoPlayer (or VideoProject- min) project here.

2. Copy the Application_Startup "foreach" code block and FormatUri() methods from the player's App.xaml.cs to my App.xaml.cs. I don't think the
HtmlPage.RegisterScriptableObject line is needed since the only scriptable method (Player.SeekPlayback) isn't called from a script that I can see.

3. Copy\set the initParams in my HTMLtag:

4. To avoid confusion with my Page I renamed the VideoPlayer's Page to Player

* Renamed Page.xaml to Player.xaml (renames .xaml.xs as well).
* Changed x:Class="VideoPlayer.Page" to x:Class="VideoPlayer.Player" in Player.xaml
* Changed Page : UserControl to VideoPlayer : UserControl in Player.xaml.cs
* Changed Page() to VideoPlayer() in Player.xaml.cs
* After doing the above and compiling I was able to add a "Player" custom control to my page via Expression Blend, which nicely adds in the xmlns declaration.

5. Changed all references from "App" to "Application" in Player.xaml.cs, otherwise I had compile errors.

6. In order to make this control more usuable for my project, I added a few utility methods, shown below. I think all the media control functionality could\should be exposed, but that's just my opinion.

Play\Stop is so my application can start\stop the video programatically.

Mediacontrol.xaml.cs
public void Play() { btnPlay.IsChecked = true; }
public void Stop() {
btnPlay.IsChecked = false;
_media.Position = new TimeSpan(0);
}

Player.xaml.cs
public void Play() { mediaControls.Play(); }
public void Stop() { mediaControls.Stop(); }

MediaReady event is so to enable\disable an external play button (initially the video player is hidden in my application).

public event EventHandler MediaReady;
private void mediaPlayer_MediaOpened(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e) {
if (this.MediaReady != null)
MediaReady(this, new EventArgs());
}

in Player.Page_Loaded() I added:
mediaPlayer.MediaOpened += new RoutedEventHandler(mediaPlayer_MediaOpened);

I know that this thread is quite old, but maybe somebody can help me... I have integrated the control into my Silverlight 3 Application following this instructions. Everything seems to work OK (I can see the player on my app), but when I try to set the Source property of the mediaPlayer, MediaFailed event is fired with this exception message "AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR".

Any idea?

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Finally I found the solution in this post: http://forums.silverlight.net/t/29237.aspx/1

I was facing an issue while binding Image URL to an Image in Silverlight app. I solved it by publishing the application to IIS instead of running it from the file system . Refer to my blog for more details http://nileshgule.blogspot.com/2011/06/ngtweet-part-5-big-bang-refactoring.html