Controls not visible for some videos

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM
I have encountered an odd problem with this software. For certain videos, I find that when I start to play them, all the video controls are invisible. In fact I believe they are behind the video. If I open another video, go to full screen, then back, and then open the original video again, the controls are where they should be.

Does anyone have any idea as to what may cause this problem? Is it something to do with the way the video is coded? (It was converted from an .avi file, by myself, and I am a complete newbie with this process.) Nevertheless, when I play it with the Telerik RadPlayer (their mediaplayer) I do not have this problem.

Any suggestions?

Thx

Helen
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2009 at 9:30 PM
The controls by default auto-hide unless you specify otherwise.  You can turn this off per the documentation: http://sl2videoplayer.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=initparams&referringTitle=Home
Apr 29, 2009 at 9:42 PM
Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.

I have played with auto-hide, setting it to false, but it makes no difference. When I choose some videos, everything works properly; with others, they are displayed in the entire content area. I realize that the controls are placed on top of the video, but with some videos this doesn't happen ahd the video covers the controls. When this occurs, sometimes random mouse clicks in the area where the full-screen button lives puts the video into full screen. When I then press ESC to go back to normal, the video controls are now visible, and the video width is slightly less, i.e. it does not fill the full content. After that, it all works fine.

I'm really kind of stumped with this one.
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM
this sounds like the width/height of the control are not matched with the actual video dimensions.  Make sure the control width/height matches or the controls may be hidden out of view -- this is the most common problem.
Apr 29, 2009 at 10:09 PM
Edited Apr 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM
That sound most probable. I actually think it may be related to the video having a different aspect ratio than the MediaElement. Is there no way to set properties of the MediaElement or Player to automatically size the video appropriately?
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM
It actually should work like that -- I kind of consider it a bug, but right now, setting the appropriate sizes either on the <object> tag or a containing <div> element are the appropriate paths.
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2009 at 10:13 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Apr 29, 2009 at 10:13 PM
Do you think this is a bug with the Silverlight MediaElement? Say it ain't so :)